summer fund raising competition
Friends of SBT - summer fund raising competition
raise money for street children - have fun as you do it - win a specially designed 2 week trip to India!
We are asking our friends and supporters to set up their own fund raising campaign. The competition will start from July 1st and is intended to end on October 1st. Terms and conditions below.
what are we raising money for?
In April, the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge visited two of SBT's centres in Delhi. As almost all street children, current or former, have had some kind of trauma in their lives, they were particularly interested in SBT's pioneering mental health team.
Prince William asked SBT's co-founder, Sanjoy Roy, what can be done to help. This is one way.
Our goal is to raise £25,000 for SBT's short term shelters and contact points, and the mental health team. More details on the exact projects will follow.
o Our star prize, for the person who raises the most money, is a magnificent two week trip to India for two. This features privileged access to the 2017 Jaipur Literature Festival: held in the beautiful grounds of the Diggi Palace, the "greatest literary show on Earth" has attracted most of the world's top writers, as well offering great music and food, and of course the chance to explore Rajasthan's famous pink city. In Delhi, the winners will stay in upmarket bed & breakfast accommodation with home cooking, and get the opportunity to see some of SBT's projects in action. More details at the bottom of the page.
o Anyone raising over £150 will receive an SBT goody bag.
how to enter and raise funds
STEP ONE - CHOOSE AND SET UP AN EVENT OR FUNDRAISING PAGE
There are two options:
1. Set up a page on Virgin Money Giving here.
We suggest that you opt for a "personal challenge", although there are other choices. If you don't like the sound of the suggested challenges, "other" lets you name pretty much anything. Try to make it fun, and add some photos and a story to the page you create (see 'the personal approach' below).
Or you can search for organised events, some of which will allow you to nominate a charity of your choice. When you get to the option of nominating a charity, search for 'Friends of Salaam Baalak Trust (UK)' and check that it gives you our logo and charity number 1134990.
2. Host an event and collect money yourself.
If you are having a proper summer, invite friends to a weekend party. If you're in one of the wetter parts of the UK, perhaps an umbrella barbecue... Once you have raised the final amount, send it to us all together by PayPal.
Either way, our suggestion is to use the personal approach...
This competition is designed for our supporters who have their own stories to tell about SBT - whether visiting a shelter home, chatting to a guide on the City Walk, or volunteering in Delhi. A personal recommendation from a friend is a powerful way to encourage donations. Write a few words from your own experience, add any photos of your own, then spread the word to your friends and colleagues via a mailshot or social media. We can help you add in some facts and background if you want.
STEP TWO - TELL US ABOUT IT
Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org to register your entry in the competition.
STEP THREE - TELL EVERYONE ELSE
Spread the word, via your fundraising page or social media. Get competitive and challenge your friends to enter too.
STEP FOUR - START RAISING MONEY
Raise as much as you can through as many ideas as you can muster. If a single big thing like running a marathon seems too daunting, try a number of smaller ones, from baking cakes, wearing fancy dress to work or doing something daft like a bath in baked beans. Multiple entries are allowed as long as you register with the same name for each one. Don't forget to share stories and photos!
Any questions... mail us at email@example.com
Terms and conditions
1. The competition is intended for friends and supporters of SBT, but is open to anyone over 18 outside India except Trustees of Friends of SBT and their families. Each person can register only once. Everyone who registers is welcome to launch more than one fundraising event, page or campaign to add towards their total. However funds received from such multiple campaigns must all be linked to the same Virgin Money Giving account holder, or submitted through the same PayPal account, in order to count towards the prize.
2. The winning prize will be awarded to the person who, according to these terms and conditions (and, in the event of any dispute, in the opinion of the Trustees whose decision will be final) raises the most money, but provided that that person has raised more than £1,500.
3. Every person raising more than £150 will receive an SBT goody bag. Exact details tbc.
4. Donations made through PayPal to Friends of SBT are in £ sterling, and so any funds raised outside the UK in foreign currency will be converted at the time of transfer.
5. The Trustees reserve the right to supplement these rules and/or make further decisions during the course of the competition if the need arises or to avoid or settle any disputes.
JLF: grounds of the Diggi Palace Diya bed & breakfast in Delhi
Details of winning prize
The winning prize will consist of:
- a return economy flight for 2 from London to Delhi
- (courtesy of Street Connections) up to 7 nights' accommodation in Diya Bed & Breakfast in central Delhi (to be taken together or either side of the trip to Jaipur). Diya B&B is run by former beneficiaries of SBT and its "four cute rooms" are recommended by Lonely Planet magazine as one of three boutique places to stay in the capital
- walking tour of Old Delhi as well as a choice of other off-the-beaten-track half day tours in Delhi
- (courtesy of festival organiser Teamwork Arts) delegate entry for two to the Jaipur Literature Festival in January 2017. As well as privileged access to the Festival Hub at the main Diggi Palace venue, the delegate package includes the following:
o accommodation at one of the Festival Hotels (18-24 January)
o buffet lunches (19-23 Jan) at the Festival Hub and buffet dinners (19-22 January) by the pool at the Hotel Clarks Amer.
o admission to all concerts at the Music Stage venue (19-22 January)
o access to the Delegate Lounge
o invitation to a 'Delegates Only' session and cocktail evening on 22 January.
Also included in the winning prize is transport to and from the airport to the Delhi accommodation, and daily home made Indian lunch and dinners in Delhi if required. Not included are: transport to and from Jaipur (but we can help you arrange this), and any day or weekend trips outside Delhi. If the winner lives outside the UK, the Trustees will consider alternative flights to Delhi up to the same cost, but are unable to offer cash equivalent.